Fox L.A. reporter Bill Melugin published photos Tuesday night that appear to show California governor Gavin Newsom enjoying a November 6 indoor dinner party, which would go against his own state COVID protocols. Fox L.A. reports the photos of Newsom and his dinner party friends were taken at French Laundry restaurant in Yountville, California.
Newsom apologized Monday for making “a bad mistake” in attending the birthday dinner party, saying he “should have stood up and … drove back to my house.” Tuesday, the state announced a new lockdown and more restrictions.
“The spirit of what I’m preaching all the time was contradicted,” he added. “I need to preach and practice, not just preach.”
However, the woman who took the photos of Newsom at the party said she didn’t get the impression Newsom was in any rush to leave the event or having second thoughts about enjoying himself.
“I was surprised because it didn’t look like he was uncomfortable being there until the very end until people were looking at him and staring at him as he was leaving the room,” she told Fox L.A.
Governor Newsom’s COVID gathering rules include:
- Wear masks and physically distance from other attendees.
- Limit gatherings to no more than 3 separate households attend (including the host’s).
- Do not attend if you have symptoms of COVID-19.
- Singing, shouting, chanting, cheering, or exercising is strongly discouraged at outdoor gatherings and not permitted at indoor gatherings.
- Private gatherings should be two hours or less, and people with a high risk of severe illness are strongly encouraged not to attend.
An analysis of The French Laundry restaurant in Town & Country magazine appears to show the room where Newsom was enjoying himself. Judge for yourself whether this is outdoor dining. The room has three walls and a sliding door. You make the call.
EXCLUSIVE: We've obtained photos of Governor Gavin Newsom at the Napa dinner party he's in hot water over. The photos call into question just how outdoors the dinner was. A witness who took photos tells us his group was so loud, the sliding doors had to be closed. 10pm on @FOXLA pic.twitter.com/gtOVEwa864
— Bill Melugin (@BillFOXLA) November 18, 2020