Dan Mullen and the Florida Gators have struggled on the recruiting trail in the last few years. The transfer portal, on the other hand, has treated the program well.
Most recently, former five-star tight end Arik Gilbert decided to transfer to Florida after one season in Baton Rouge.
Chris Hummer with 247Sports pointed out on Monday that Florida has snagged five former blue-chip recruits out of the transfer portal. That’s quite a collection of talent, especially for a team that hasn’t been bringing in the high school talent that other premier SEC programs have.
Here are those five players:
- TE Arik Gilbert, LSU: No. 5 overall / No. 1 TE / No. 1 GA (2020)
- WR Justin Shorter, Penn State: No. 8 overall / No. 1 WR / No. 1 NJ (2018)
- RB Demarkus Bowman, Clemson: No. 20 overall / No. 3 RB / No. 4 FLA (2020)
- RB Lorenzo Lingard, Miami: No. 25 overall / No. 2 RB / No. 6 FLA (2018)
- EDGE Brenton Cox Jr., Georgia: No. 23 overall / No. 2 SDE / No. 5 GA (2018)
Four of those guys come on the offensive side of the football. For a unit that lost talent such as Kyle Pitts, Kyle Trask and Kadarius Toney at the end of last season, Mullen did a pretty good job reloading. He’s almost having as much success in the transfer portal as Deion Sanders over at Jackson State.
It will be interesting to see how the group comes together in 2021.
Follow Clint Lamb on Twitter @ClintRLamb.