in

California Reissues Statewide Mask Mandate

Videos by OutKick

California has decided to reimpose its statewide mask mandate after claiming 18 cases of the Omicran variant of COVID-19 have been discovered.

The new mask mandate applies to everyone, regardless of vaccination status. Whatever the original purpose of the vaccination was supposed to be, it sure hasn’t seemed to slow down the spread of the virus or its variants.

The latest mask mandate will go into effect Wednesday and run through at least Jan. 15. “More restrictions will be introduced for those who are unvaccinated, with added requirements for those individuals to attend large gatherings such as concerts and sporting events,” Michael Lee of Fox News wrote.

That’s not all. Catherine Ho of the San Francisco Chronicle reported the following:

“The state will also require people attending mega-events of 1,000 people or more that don’t require vaccination to show proof of a negative test taken within one day for an antigen test, and within two days for a PCR test. The previous window was 72 hours.

“And it will recommend that travelers returning to California get tested three to five days after arrival.”

Those at indoor dining venues, however, will be allowed to remove masks when seated and ordering food.

“This is a critical time,” said Health and Human Services Secretary Dr. Mark Ghaly. “We have a tool we know has worked and can work. We are proactively putting this tool of universal indoor masking in place to ensure we get through a time of joy and hope without a darker cloud of despair. Californians have done this before, and we believe we can do it again.”

“We know that there’s going to be people who don’t necessarily agree with this, who are tired, who aren’t going to mask. We hope that those are few and far between, that most people see the purpose of doing this over the next month as something to protect them and their communities during a very tough time.”

California’s statewide mask mandate was actually the second issued Monday. New York also put one in place that will also last until Jan. 15.

Written by Sam Amico

Sam Amico spent 15 years covering the NBA for Sports Illustrated, FOX Sports and NBA.com, along with a few other spots, and currently runs his own basketball website on the side, FortyEightMinutes.com.

8 Comments

Leave a Reply
  1. “Those at indoor dining venues, however, will be allowed to remove masks when seated and ordering food.”

    Isn’t that nice of those little totalitarian fascists….you can take your mask off to put food in your mouth. Anyone who remains in California, or who follows these silly mandates is insane.

  2. California is currently recording ~1500 new positive tests per day out of a total population of 39 million. If you assume it takes people two weeks to recover from their infection, then that means only ~0.05% of the population is currently infected with Covid. There is no reason to be masking the other 99.95%. It’s lunacy to think that forcing healthy, asymptomatic, vaccinated people to breathe through cloth is somehow going to empty out hospitals.

    And that doesn’t take into account the fact that we can’t even prove masking actually works, nor do we know the longterm effects of prolonged mask-wearing. If masks actually worked, California wouldn’t have had an enormous spike in cases last December.

  3. I live in orange county. We are more red than a lot of cities in other states. But our vote is useless. As long as we have SF and LA part of the state it will always vote blue. They are also trying to change the county borders to get a lot of the most conservative parts of the county (including where I live) to be part of LA county. Drown out our votes even more.

Leave a Reply

to comment on this post. Not a VIP? Signup Here