Woman Confuses ‘Poppers’ For Candy, Suffers Mouth Burns After Biting Into Handful

Videos by OutKick

Talk about a regrettable mistake.

A woman from England is recovering today after she mistook a box of firework poppers for popping candy (think ‘Pop Rocks’).

Lisa Boothroyd purchased a box of “Fun Snaps” from a store, where she claims the poppers were near the candy. She told Southwest News Service that she felt the placement of the poppers along with the way the box looked made it possible for the one to be confused with the other.

Once Boothroyd threw a handful of poppers into her mouth and bit down, she realized what she had done. She suffered a cracked tooth as well as chemical burns to her lips and gums burns in the process.

“I remember the moment I crunched down on a handful of the ‘sweets’ — and instantly felt explosions in my mouth,” Boothroyd said.

“I felt a burning pain straight away. I’m still in agony and nearly lost a tooth after it cracked from the explosion.”

The snaps are made with sand or gravel and combined with silver fulminate. They are then twisted inside paper. When thrown on concrete or pavement, the poppers made a “popping” noise, which is where they get their name.

It remains to be seen whether Boothroyd will go after the store or the makers of the product.

Written by Matt Loede

Matt has been a part of the Cleveland Sports landscape working in the media since 1994 when he graduated from broadcasting school. His coverage beats include the Cleveland Indians, Cleveland Browns and Cleveland Cavaliers. He's written three books, and won the "2020 AP Sports Stringer Lifetime Service Award."


Leave a Reply

Leave a Reply