Videos by OutKick
Nothing fires you guys up like a good, old fashioned fight over which city is the best out there for football fans. The crew at WalletHub.com went out and did the research to come up with the overall rankings for best and worst cities for football fans. They used a weighted system that allowed college towns to compete against NFL cities to determine a winner.
A total of 21 metrics were used to determine WalletHub’s rankings including best-performing NFL teams, worst-performing NFL teams, best-performing NCAA teams, worst-performing NCAA teams, lowest average ticket price for NFL game, highest average ticket price for NFL game, etc. WalletHub really dug deep into the metrics, going as far as using ‘Number of Coaches in Past 10 Seasons’ as part of its points system.
Overall, Pittsburgh is WalletHub’s 2021 Best City For Football fans due to its dominance in the pro football metrics as well as a solid showing in college football, even though the Pitt Panthers aren’t exactly a powerhouse.
Dig into all of the results to see where your city ranks:
|Best Cities for Football Fans||Worst Cities for Football Fans|
|1. Pittsburgh, PA||236. Fort Collins, CO|
|2. Dallas, TX||237. Louisville, KY|
|3. Boston, MA||238. New Britain, CT|
|4. Green Bay, WI||239. Columbia, SC|
|5. New York, NY||240. Ithaca, NY|
|6. Miami, FL||241. Davidson, NC|
|7. New Orleans, LA||242. Valparaiso, IN|
|8. Los Angeles, CA||243. Providence, RI|
|9. Indianapolis, IN||244. Stephenville, TX|
|10. San Francisco, CA||245. St. George, UT|
Observations from the findings:
• Cincinnati (20th) beats rival Cleveland (25th), thanks to its college football scene. Cleveland is a miserable No. 237 as a college football town, thanks to a lack of college football.
• Fargo, North Dakota is an astounding No. 33, thanks to a No. 3 overall ranking as a college football town.
• Clemson is the No. 1 college football city for fans with Tuscaloosa No. 2. However, Tuscaloosa was cited as the best small city for football fans with Clemson a close second. Let the fighting commence.
• Lincoln, Nebraska likes to think of itself as some great college football city, but Wallet Hub just destroyed that myth. It ranks the city No. 199 for college fans, dropping the city to No. 211 in the U.S. It is therefore one of the worst cities in America for football fans.
• It’s sad to see SEC cities such as Columbia, South Carolina; Fayetteville, Arkansas and College Station, Texas at the bottom of the rankings. Those cities are down there with sad football city Lawrence, Kansas.
• Green Bay would never lose this battle if it had a decent college football program.
• St. George, Utah got its first standalone bar — one not attached to a golf course or a hotel — in 2019. That is all you need to know about the worst city in the United States for football fans.