Videos by OutKick
Despite an apology where Justin Thomas said “I’m a grown man, there’s absolutely no reason for me to say anything like that,” Ralph Lauren issued a statement Friday night announcing the brand was dropping its sponsorship of Thomas.
“Fa–ot,” Thomas could be heard saying after missing a putt at last week’s Sentry Tournament of Champions event. Ralph Lauren said in its statement that the company believes “in the dignity of all people, regardless of age, race, gender identity, ethnicity, political affiliation or sexual orientation.”
And with that, they were done with Thomas.
“We are disheartened by Mr. Thomas’s recent language, which is entirely inconsistent with our values. While we acknowledge that he has apologized and recognizes the severity of his words, he is a paid ambassador of our brand and his actions conflict with the inclusive culture that we strive to uphold,” the company statement reads.
“In reflecting on the responsibility we have to all of our stakeholders, we have decided to discontinue our sponsorship of Mr. Thomas at this time. As we make this decision, our hope is that Mr. Thomas does the hard and necessary work in order to partner with us again – truly examining this incident, learning, growing and ultimately using his platform to promote inclusion.”
Thomas, the No. 3 player in the world, said in his apology that what he did was terrible and embarrassing. “It’s not who I am, it’s not the kind of person that I am or anything that I do.”
@JustinThomas34 has issued an apology for his homophobic slur at @Sentry_TOC. I feel bad for anyone who was hurt by the what he said. I hope people forgive him, he seems like one of the nice guys. But it’s a reminder we need to stop using offensive language. pic.twitter.com/zO85NIX3io
— Slingn’ It Golf (@slingnitgolf) January 10, 2021