OutKick founder Clay Travis hosted the fifth annual OutKick listener mock draft on his radio show, OutKick the Coverage, Thursday morning. The first several picks were produced in-house, but then loyal listeners were able to get in and make a few predictions of their own.
If a selection is too outlandish, one of the crew has the ability to “throw a flag” in order to preserve at least some semblance of accuracy — come on, who really wants to see Feleipe Franks go top 10, outside of Feleipe Franks and his family? It adds an interesting wrinkle to the process, but a much-needed one.
Overall, there were a couple hiccups with players being taken twice, but Clay and company were able to keep things straight and get projections for all 32 of the first-round picks. So what were the results? Check ’em out:
1. Jacksonville Jaguars – Trevor Lawrence, QB, Clemson
2. New York Jets – Zach Wilson, QB, BYU
3. San Francisco 49ers – Mac Jones, QB, Alabama
4. Atlanta Falcons – Kyle Pitts, TE, Florida
5. Cincinnati Bengals – Ja’Marr Chase, WR, LSU
6. Miami Dolphins – Jaylen Waddle, WR, Alabama
7. Detroit Lions – Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State
This is where callers were able to get in on the action. Some interesting, but promising results here.
8. Carolina Panthers – Penei Sewell, OT, Oregon
9. Denver Broncos – Justin Fields, QB, Ohio State
10. Dallas Cowboys – Patrick Surtain II, CB, Alabama
11. New York Giants – Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina
12. Philadelphia Eagles – DeVonta Smith, WR, Alabama
13. Los Angeles Chargers – Rashawn Slater, OT, Northwestern
14. Minnesota Vikings – Jaelan Phillips, EDGE, Miami
15. New England Patriots – Trey Lance, QB, North Dakota State
16. Arizona Cardinals – Zaven Collins, LB, Tulsa
17. Las Vegas Raiders – Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU
18. Miami Dolphins – Azeez Ojulari, EDGE, Georgia
19. Washington Football Team – Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame
20. Chicago Bears – Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern
21. Indianapolis Colts – Joe Tryon, EDGE, Washington
Since he has plenty of familiarity with the team, Clay made the pick for the Titans. And I’d say he made a solid choice with pass-catchers Corey Davis, Adam Humphries and Jonnu Smith all gone.
22. Tennessee Titans – Elijah Moore, WR, Ole Miss
23. New York Jets – Alijah Vera-Tucker, OL, USC
24. Pittsburgh Steelers – Najee Harris, RB, Alabama
25. Jacksonville Jaguars – Asante Samuel Jr., CB, Florida State
26. Cleveland Browns – Alex Leatherwood, OT, Alabama
This is where things got really interesting. It’s the final stretch, and a lot of players have been taken so far. A few listeners tried to double dip with players such as Jaelen Phillips and Najee Harris, but the record was set straight and picks were made.
27. Baltimore Ravens – Gregory Rousseau, EDGE, Miami
28. New Orleans Saints – Kwity Paye, EDGE, Michigan
29. Green Bay Packers – Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
30. Buffalo Bills – Jamin Davis, LB, Kentucky
31. Baltimore Ravens – Terrace Marshall Jr., WR, LSU
32. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Christian Barmore, IDL, Alabama
Several things stood out to me with this mock, but two stand above the rest: 1) Alex Leatherwood going to Cleveland, even though their offensive line looks set already and 2) offensive tackles Christian Darrisaw and Teven Jenkins falling out of the first round.
Virginia Tech cornerback Caleb Farley dropping to Day 2 might shock some, but with his back concerns, it’s possible.
Still, our loyal OutKick listeners did a great job overall. I think a vast majority of the picks are reasonable and within the realm of possibility, which is why we’re hoping to get at least eight of them right. That would be a new record for the OutKick listener mock draft.
Buckle up, folks. It’s finally here.
Follow Clint Lamb on Twitter @ClintRLamb.
OutKick and FanDuel have teamed up to offer free money on the NFL Draft. The rules are simple: if new users bet $5 on Trevor Lawrence to go first overall, and he “does,” they will win back $100. By “does,” we mean “when he does.”