Court documents show Tiger Woods was unconscious in the SUV after he crashed the vehicle last week, and a nearby resident was the first individual on-scene.
It was first thought that Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Deputy Carlos Gonzalez was the first individual to arrive, and last week he said he did not believe Woods was aware of how “gravely he was injured at the time.” He said Woods was conscious and able to answer basic questions.
But Gonzalez was actually the second individual to arrive the morning of Feb. 23 — a witness who lives near the accident scene heard the crash and walked to the SUV, Los Angeles County sheriff’s Deputy Johann Schloegl wrote in the affidavit.
The witness told deputies that Woods had lost consciousness and did not respond to his questions.
The Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department executed a search warrant Monday to get data from the “black box” in the SUV that Woods was driving.
Schloegl said the sheriff’s office is trying to determine if a crime was committed.
“If somebody is involved in a traffic collision, we’ve got to reconstruct the traffic collision, if there was any reckless driving, if somebody was on their cellphone or something like that,” Schloegl said. “We determine if there was a crime. If there was no crime, we close out the case, and it was a regular traffic collision.”
To get a warrant, probable cause that a crime was involved has to be determined, even if it’s just a misdemeanor, USA Today reports.
When asked if Woods will face charges for reckless driving or if Woods was impaired last week, Los Angeles Sheriff Alex Villanueva said his office wouldn’t be filing charges and Woods showed no signs of impairment.
“A reckless driving charge has a lot of elements into it,” Villanueva said last week. “This is purely an accident. There will be a cause [of the accident] and there will be a vehicle code attached to it … but [Woods’ accident] was an infraction and reckless driving is actually more than an infraction — that is a misdemeanor crime … and it has nothing like that.”
Schloegl said the Villanueva spoke “about the information known at that time and said it appeared to be a traffic accident.”
“However, the traffic collision investigation is [on]going and traffic investigators have not made any conclusions as to the cause of the collision,” he said.
Schloegl said there was “no probable cause” to get a warrant to obtain Woods’ blood from him or the hospital, but he previously told USA Today he did not seek a search warrant for Woods’ blood samples.
The document was filed Tuesday in Los Angeles County Superior Court as part of a statement of probable cause requesting that a search warrant be approved for the vehicle’s data recorder.
“I believe the data will explain how/why the collision occurred,” Schloegl wrote.