Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Champ Crocker

Oregon Governor Kate Brown signed a bill eliminating the state’s proficiency requirements in Math, Reading and Writing for high school graduates. Republican legislators argued this bill would lower expectations for students while the Governor, through a spokesperson said the bill would benefit “Oregon’s Black, Latino, Latina, Latinx, Indigenous, Asian, Pacific Islander, Tribal, and students of color.” In other words, equity (link to story below).

So what impact will this Oregon law have on college sports? Some NCAA academic requirements have been relaxed during the pandemic but, the NCAA’s academic eligibility for student-athletes is based on “a combination of their SAT/ACT test scores, high school coursework and their GPA as calculated using what are called the ‘NCAA Core Courses.'” (See: ncaasports.org)

There will likely be many unintended consequences of this new Oregon law, not the least of which are potentially making student-athletes ineligible for college.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9879959/Oregon-scraps-requirement-high-school-students-prove-proficiency-math-reading-writing.html

Jay Ess Dee
    Participant

So is degrading the quality of education and it’s products (the students) an intended or unintended consequence? Over time, this is going to affect the ability of society to effectively do everything and anything. Graduates and the organizations they wind up working for are going to become increasingly incompetent. Are people really dumb enough to think that prosperity just can be taken for granted like this? Apparently they are. And it is only going to get worse.

Kate Brown should be incarcerated for crimes against humanity. I’m not joking.

Stan Long
    Participant

First off, the Asians could care less as they will stick to their culture that stresses education.
    Brown must of had a survey done and found out that the kids in Oregon are not that bright. Can’t do the simple work.
    The way that I take it from Brown is that most have to take their shoes off to count to 20 and having to string 5-6 words coherently together to convey a thought is extremely difficult for those kids.
    So in the future, beware to any employer outside the state of Oregon as you will not only have to teach the Oregon kids before lunch but then will have to repeat teach again after lunch.

Richard Holmboe
    Participant

The governor should take a proficiency test.
    WTF?
    This is changing the definition of what education is (or what it is not).
    What a strange world, what strange destructive leaders we have.

Anonymous
    Inactive

The impact on college sports will be minimal since these schools have been papering over the illiteracy of top recruits for decades. Dexter Manley anyone? The impact on the broader nation however will not be minimal. The Governor is essentially saying that educating students in her State’s education systems is optional. Just as long as everyone gets a piece of paper the inability of large numbers of black and brown students to actually read what is on that piece of paper is irrelevant. What is important is that privileged white guys like me must respect that piece of paper and grant these nincompoops a “living wage” for their sub-substandard workproduct. But as I often tell young liberals; I am an old man, so your insanity will have little practical impact on my life, you are only screwing over yourselves and your children.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.