Videos by OutKick
It finally stopped raining!
Hey Mother Nature, how about you let it dry out around here a little bit before pummeling us like you did over the last three days. Deal? The weather has been so crazy that I’ve turned to watching documentaries on construction projects back in my birthplace of Dayton, Ohio. I watched an hour of construction guys rebuilding the Dayton Arcade, a massive complex of buildings in downtown that had sat vacant for about 30 years.
Then I was sucked into patents filed by Daytonians. I knew the city was full of innovators and had read quite a bit about the subject in the past, but the older I get, the more my mind is blown over just how many important patents came from Dayton. We all know about the Wright Bros., but then you have things like the cash register, self-starting automobiles and the pop tops on cans.
Those are the headliners. Some of the patents I had no knowledge of include cigarette filters, an artificial kidney, artificial heart, radar detector, ice cube tray, two-cycle diesel engine, microfiche, motorized wheelchair, stepladder, stress test electrode, ice cream cone.
Talk about being proud of where you were born, even if the hospital where you were born is torn down. This is what you caused, Mother Nature. I went back down the Dayton rabbit hole. I was even watching urban explorers go through the rundown remnants of Grub Steak on N. Main Street. Speaking of patents, Joe Bissett, the founder of Grub Steak got a patent in 1969 for filet strips on sticks. That’s right, ribs on sticks. Seriously!
That was my Tuesday night. Now the sun is sorta back out, and it’s time to get outside to see the world again. I might even get crazy and plan some golf this week. It’s been three weeks since the Michigan trip, and I’m starting to get the itch again.
• I wanted to make sure this report from Rob M. was acknowledged because I think Rob might have a sneaky great patio operation on his hands. Look at those Natty keg tap caps:
A few pics from my first foray into the league. Normally I work Thursday nights so my lawn gets mowed on Friday morning, however, due to the storm this week, I was able to come off the bench (like a position player pitching in the eighth inning of a blow out ) and participate. Thank you for all of the great work you’re doing at OutKick! It is truly appreciated!
• Remember how lumber was supposed to be dropping, and I told you guys I wasn’t seeing it at my local Lowe’s? Yeah, well Fox Business is reporting that it was a head fake because suppliers aren’t done selling the expensive boards they bought when the lumber market was at all-time highs. That’s right, we need homebuilders to buy up all the expensive boards so us weekend warriors can get back to building shelves and bars.
• What was the most commented, most controversial, highest engagement piece of content around town on Tuesday? It had to be this from downtown Toledo.
UPDATE: Witnesses have told authorities that the George Floyd mural on the side of this building at Summit and Lagrange was struck by lightning before it collapsed. >> https://bit.ly/3hCmvu7
• It’s time for the 8U house league playoffs, and it’s win-or-go-back-to-enjoying-summertime for my son and his teammates. He’s facing his best friend’s team in the first round so there could be some emotions, especially between the parents! I feel like the losing parents have to provide the margaritas and tacos at the next neighborhood party.
• And that’s it. See something? Send it in. The email is always open: email@example.com or slide into the Instagram DMs (@joekinseyexp). It’s been nice to see how many of you send in stuff via the IG DMs. As always, I’ll keep you anonymous on the IG stuff. You’re all good. Fire away.
Numbers from :
Mike Zunino entered the All-Star Game with a .198 batting average, the lowest mark by any player to hit a home run in the game.
The previous mark was .217 by Terry Steinbach in 1988.
— Stats By STATS (@StatsBySTATS) July 14, 2021
Stuff You Guys Sent In & Stuff I Like:
— Joe Kinsey (@JoeKinseyexp) July 14, 2021
— Gabe Burns (@GabeBurnsAJC) July 14, 2021
but black. pic.twitter.com/2y39FjjDp2
— MLB Closed Captioning (@mlb_cc) July 14, 2021
The first pitch of tonight's All-Star Game was thrown by none other than the legend himself, Peyton Manning 🏈 pic.twitter.com/LYcl23Xskc
— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) July 14, 2021
Two umpires approach German Marquez, to make him remove his white sleeve pic.twitter.com/yqycHanOgj
— Welcome to the Ump Show (@umpjob) July 14, 2021
— Vintage Jerseys & Hats (@PolyesterUnis) July 13, 2021
I mean I can clean the Hummer. pic.twitter.com/7dvnE3zIc7
— MLB Closed Captioning (@mlb_cc) July 13, 2021
— Freezing Cold Takes (@OldTakesExposed) July 14, 2021
Pretty exclusive company 💫 pic.twitter.com/RvX8QO3CbP
— FOX Sports: MLB (@MLBONFOX) July 14, 2021
"Tears just started running down my eyes," Al "Bubba" Baker tells Around The NFL's @DanHanzus, @greggrosenthal + @PatrickClaybon of being recognized as the unofficial single-season sack king https://t.co/RRWsiAh9KE pic.twitter.com/o8TEiDDnXE
— Around The NFL (@AroundTheNFL) July 14, 2021
I opened my gym and some very thoughtful people had the foresight to do something like this. I am truly blessed, I’m just a kid from the wrong side of Lafayette a life like this isn’t or isn’t supposed to be for us. Thank you all. (my parents forever in my gym) pic.twitter.com/05vDyKWgW2
— Daniel Cormier (@dc_mma) July 14, 2021
🚨🚨🚨 THICC KING ALERT! 🚨🚨🚨
Forget Bryson…Challenge Tour pro Jon Thomson is the biggest pro golfer I’ve ever seen.
Listed at 6’9”. Gotta be 300 pounds. Clubs must be 6 inches longer than normal. Here he is next to some not-small people. pic.twitter.com/3z46tp1asX
— Daniel Rapaport (@Daniel_Rapaport) July 13, 2021
Don’t look now but it just got LaCock as hell up in here. pic.twitter.com/kimkPZdoGw
— Super 70s Sports (@Super70sSports) July 13, 2021
A collection of me turning into random objects. pic.twitter.com/ValPdPNJIj
— Kevin Parry (@kevinbparry) July 13, 2021
Project # 2 for Daughter and I
Sumbitch weighs about 300 pounds. pic.twitter.com/sZro4ZSSEm
— Due# (@JDue51) July 14, 2021
— Jon Farthing (@jon_farthing) July 14, 2021