It didn’t take retired quarterback Drew Brees long to land a prime gig in broadcasting. Not even a full offseason, in fact.
That’s because Brees will serve as analyst of NBC’s broadcasts of Notre Dame games, next to noted play-by-play man Mike Tirico. The network made the announcement official in a press release Thursday.
Brees is the latest in what has become a revolving door of Fighting Irish TV analysts, as he replaces Tony Dungy, who replaced Doug Flutie at the start of last season.
While Brees is likely aiming for a larger role, such as Sunday NFL games or Monday Night Football, this is a good start. Notre Dame football remains one of the most-consumed broadcasts in sports.
Along with the Brees hire, NBC announced it’s full Fighting Irish broadcast schedule. It is as follows:
- Sept. 11: Notre Dame vs Toledo, 2:30 PM
- Sept. 18: Notre Dame vs Purdue, 2:30 PM
- Oct. 2: Notre Dame vs Cincinnati, 2:30 PM
- Oct. 23: Notre Dame vs USC, 7:30 PM
- Oct. 30: Notre Dame vs North Carolina, 7:30 PM
- Nov. 6: Notre Dame vs Navy, 3:30 PM
- Nov. 20: Notre Dame vs Georgia Tech, 2:30 PM
Kathryn Tappen will return as sideline reporter, joining Tirico and Brees.