As is tradition, the latest installment of the AP Top 25 poll came out this afternoon. Here it is:
3. Notre Dame
5. Ohio State
6. Oklahoma State
7. Texas A&M
8. Penn State
14. North Carolina
17. Iowa State
19. Virginia Tech
20. Kansas State
23. NC State
25. Coastal Carolina
Some quick notes:
1) North Carolina fell from no. 5 to tied with Wisconsin at no. 14 after losing as 13.5-point favorites at Florida State.
2) Alabama’s impressive victory over previously third-ranked Georgia was not enough to vault them past Clemson in the poll. Clemson got 54 first place votes and Alabama got 8. Georgia fell just one spot from the loss, switching places with Notre Dame.
3) Texas A&M had a nice rise from no. 11 to no. 7 after beating Mississippi State.
4) Tennessee fell out of the top 25 from no. 18 after getting throttled by Kentucky.
5) Teams new to the top 25 this week: Marshall, NC State, and Coastal Carolina.
6) The Big Ten returns next week and the Pac-12 the week after that, so it will be good to finally see those teams play and evaluate them against the rest of the field.