Sportico released a chart of the highest-paid athletes of all time on Thursday. Here’s a look at the top 10.
1. Michael Jordan, $2.62 billion
2. Tiger Woods, $2.1 billion
3. Arnold Palmer, $1.5 billion
4. Jack Nicklaus, $1.38 billion
5. Cristiano Ronaldo, $1.24 billion
6. Floyd Mayweather, $1.2 billion
7. LeBron James, $1.17 billion
8. Lionel Messi, $1.14 billion
9. Michael Schumacher, $1.13 billion
10. Roger Federer, $1.12 billion
While expected, it’s fascinating that the NFL, clearly the dominant league in the US, doesn’t have a single player in the top 10.
Second, it’s worth watching how high LeBron James rises on this list. I’d expect him to exceed $1.17 significantly. Sadly.
There will never be a boxer who matches Mayweather’s wealth and success. Mayweather didn’t open a door for fighters to make more money. He quickly closed it after he entered.
Because Mayweather never put over — in wrestling terms — younger fighters, boxing lost its mainstream appeal when Mayweather retired. Mayweather made over $1 billion, in part, from pay-per-views sales, a strategy on which few boxers can now capitalize.
*What stood out to you on this list? Let us know below: